Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Construction Alert: Months-Long I-94 Repair Project Set To Begin Monday

A $9 million I-94 repair project set to begin on Monday could affect travel to and from Detroit Metro Airport.

The Michigan Department of Transportation says work along I-94 near the airport, between Telegraph Road and I-275 in Wayne County, will start at 8 p.m. on June 13 and should wrap up in mid-November.

Nearly 11 miles of freeway and ramps in the Romulus and Taylor area Taylor will be repaired with resurfacing, concrete pavement repairs, drainage work, and pavement markings — including the common ramps to Middle Belt Road and Merriman Road, along with Vining Road and Wayne Road.

The majority of the work will occur during overnight hours and full-time during weekends.

MDOT says overnight work on the westbound side of I-94 is expected to begin early next week, just west of Telegraph Road, and will occur between 8 p.m. until 5 a.m. the next day and around the clock on weekends.

There will be single and double-lane closures on I-94 that will sometimes leave only one lane open. The common ramps to the airport will remain open as much as possible until mid-August, when concrete repair work will close the ramps. Traffic will be detoured to an alternate airport entrance off southbound I-275 and Eureka Road.

Ten message board signs will be placed on I-94, I-275, US-24 (Telegraph Road), and M-39 to advise drivers of the road work and ramp closures.

[VIEW A PROJECT MAP]

To avoid any delays with this construction, drivers are strongly urged to use the I-275 and Eureka Road airport entrance.

If there’s a weather delay, MDOT says, work will begin on Tuesday, June 14.

Read more at: http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2016/06/08/construction-alert-months-long-i-94-repair-project-set-to-begin-monday/?cid=facebook_99.5_WYCD